Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Dishwasher Broke and I Don't Care

Note so that no one accidentally loads it.
A weird melting plastic smell permeated the kitchen one night last week.  The dishwasher had begun it's cycle just 10 minutes earlier, so I opened it thinking that someone had loaded plastic in it which had fallen onto the heating coil/element/whatever it's called.  Did not see a thing.  The next night, about 10 minutes into the cycle, the same smell.  My husband opened it up, found nothing, so he hit drain and nothing happened.

His diagnostic mind determined that the pump had died.  This dishwasher is maybe 18 months old.  Our refrigerator died at 13 months and our washing machine has cycles we cannot use after 16 months.  They're all Kenmores and all from Sears.  Don't buy anything from Sears, apparently their stuff breaks after the warranty is up.  He ordered a new pump and when it shows up, he'll replace it and hopefully problem solved.

Meanwhile, we are back to hand-washing dishes.  This isn't much of an issue for me-I once measured the water I use hand-washing and the water the dishwasher uses and I use less hand-washing, plus in the summer I pour that graywater on my flowers and shrubs.  While I don't particularly enjoy washing dishes, I prefer it to dirty dishes, so...

Hand-washing dishes or anything for that matter, does make me pay attention to what I am doing.  I am more mindful now when I pull a glass out of the cupboard. Do I have a glass sitting somewhere else in the house?  Can I just reuse the plate that only had toast on it?  Without a machine to do the washing, I am finding that I'm becoming a bit more efficient in my use of mixing bowls and pots than I was when I'd just load them in the dishwasher.

This may be a stretch, but if we all did more things by hand, perhaps, we would appreciate our resources more and be less wasteful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment